Comfort food like chicken and dumplings is one of my all time fall favorites. Unfortunately, my husband doesn’t like the combination of the foods so he’s missing out. Fall is a great time of the year to make this recipe as its warm, and just comforting.
For the full recipe and complete directions scroll to the bottom of the post where the recipe card is! You can also print the recipe there!
School is starting back up so that means that we need quick and comforting dinner recipes for everyone in the family. When when we all get home from work and school we are rushing around to eat dinner and get ready for the week ahead. I worked hard this year to declutter and a goal of mine is to go to bed with the sink EMPTY. I also aim to have everything prepped for the next day.
More Chicken Recipes:
- Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins
- Instant Pot Chicken Recipes (20)
- Chicken Gravy
- White Chicken Chili
- Bacon Wrapped Cheesy Stuffed Chicken
- Chicken Cacciatore
What Ingredients do you need for Chicken and Dumplings?
- Chicken Breasts
- Olive Oil
- Chicken Broth
- Baking Powder
- Heavy Cream
How to Reheat Chicken and Dumplings
I like to put them in a pot over medium high heat and stir for approximately 10-12 minutes or until heated through. Strapped for time? These chicken and dumpling are great heated in the microwave too!
Can you freeze Chicken and Dumplings?
If you’d like to meal prep, I recommend making all but the dumplings before you freeze. Then, pull that mixture out of the freezer, add in your crockpot or in a pot over medium high heat until warmed through and then add your dumplings in.
How long will Chicken and Dumplings last in the Fridge?
If you have leftovers and would like to save it for a later date, these chicken and dumplings will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Chicken and Dumplings is the most amazing comfort food that I can think of. It is actually a lot simpler to make than you may think. This recipe will have you making it this fall and you’ll realize that it is easy and delicious.
Make Chicken for Chicken and Dumplings
Here’s how to make this delicious recipe – I promise it is super easy and a GREAT meal for the fall.
- Season chicken breasts.
- Cook the chicken until browned on all sides.
- Drain just about all of the fat from the pot.
- Add the diced onion, carrots and celery and cook until tender.
- Put the chicken back into the pot.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a large bowl.
How to Make Dumplings
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Whisk milk with egg and thyme.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir.
- Gather the dough into a ball and place on a floured surface.
- Knead dough a few times until it is soft.
- Flatten the dough to a rectangle that is about 1/2″ thick and then cut into 12 equal pieces.
- Add cream into the mixture.
- Drop the dumplings into the simmering mixture.
- Simmer until the dumplings are puffed and cooked through.
- Shred your chicken.
- Return the chicken and the veggies to the pot and stir.
- 3 split bone in, skin on chicken breasts about 2 1/2 pounds
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3/4 cup sliced celery
- 3/4 cup sliced carrots
- 6 cups chicken broth (1 48 oz container)
- 1 c flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 + 1 tsp milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp sliced chives
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
How to make Chicken and Dumplings
- Sprinkle chicken with 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. In a large pot on medium high, heat the oil. Cook chicken, turning often, until browned on all sides about 6 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- Drain all but about 1 tbsp fat from pot. Add in the diced onion, carrots, and celery. Cook stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pot. Add broth; over high heat, bring to boil. Then, reduce heat to medium low. Cover; simmer until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 45 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken and vegetables to a large bowl.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle remove and discard bones and skin. Shred the meat into 2" pieces.
- For dumplings, combine flour, baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper in medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk milk with egg and thyme.
- Combine the wet mixture and the dry ingredients. Stir until just moist. Gather dough into ball; on floured surface, knead dough once or twice until soft. Using your hand, flatten dough into rectangle about 1/2" thick, cut into 12 equal pieces.
- Over high heat, bring broth to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-high. Whisk in cream.
- Drop dumplings into simmering mixture; simmer until dumplings are puffed and cooked through about 10-15 minutes.
- Return chicken and veggies to mixture. Cook until warm - about 2 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 8 oz.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 167Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 1179mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g