When you take the time to load and then run the dishwasher, you want to have clean, shiny dishes without spots or remnants of food on them right? Sometimes the store bought tabs for the dishwasher don’t work efficiently and I have to either re-run the dishes through or wash them by hand. There is a solution, though! Make your own dishwasher tabs with a few ingredients and essential oils for sparkly clean dishes!
DIY Essential Oils Dishwasher Tabs
- 1 cup washing powder (This is found on the laundry aisle of the grocery store)
- 1 cup borax (This is found on the laundry aisle of the grocery store)
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup Epsom salt (If you don’t have Epsom salt, you can use table salt, sea salt or coarse Kosher salt)
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 15 drops of citrus essential oil(s) (I used orange and lemongrass)
- Food coloring if desired (I used a few drops of orange. This will not stain your dishes in any way)
- Ice cube tray or silicone mold
Step 1: Add washing soda to a medium size bowl
Step 2: Add borax
Step 3: Add baking soda
Step 4: Add Epsom salt or table salt, sea salt or coarse Kosher salt.
Step 5: Add essential oil(s)
Step 6: Add food coloring
Step 7: Add vinegar. It will fizz a bit, but that is just the vinegar reacting with the baking soda. Remember those volcano experiments in school?!
Step 8: mix together well until you can form a small ball when you squeeze it in your hand.
Step 9: Press firmly into ice cube tray or mold. Allow to dry completely. I usually let it sit in the sun for a few hours. If drying inside, it is best to leave overnight to make sure it is completely dry.
These dishwasher tabs will make you dishes sparkly and clean. They use ingredients that are safe for dishwashers and work better than the store bought ones. I’ve been using these for awhile now and really love them!
Want more DIY Home & Beauty Products? Check out these amazing recipes: