The winter season brings cold – in many places, freezing – temperatures…enough that no one really wants to get up and exercise. Most want to stay cuddled beneath a warm blanket, cup of hot cocoa in hand.
However, it’s important that you continue getting enough exercise during the cooler months. You will want to burn some calories after eating all those delicious holiday dinners and desserts!
Read on for seven tips that will ensure you are still getting the activity your body needs, no matter the time of year.
- Join a gym. If you usually do your workouts outdoors, the ice and snow will probably make this impossible. However, your local gym offers the space and equipment for you to continue exercising without missing a beat! Find one that doesn’t require a contract, as you may want to return to your outdoor space once the weather warms up again.
- Get a workout buddy. Having accountability may make it easier for you to get up and get moving every single day. Either exercise with your partner, or simply check in with them every day and tell them what you accomplished. You will love the feeling sharing your progress with your friend will give you!
- Sign up for a fitness class. Another idea for indoor exercise is joining a class that is local to you. It may be even more exciting for you if it’s something you haven’t tried before. If you are used to simply jogging or lifting weights, for example, give Zumba or step aerobics a try.
- Start an exercise challenge at work. For some, the idea of competition will motivate them to get up and exercise, even in the cold of winter. Having a friendly game between coworkers makes staying active fun and challenging. Plus, you will have people you see every day cheering you on, so you won’t want to quit!
- Get your family involved. It is likely everyone needs to focus on being more active in the winter months. Get your spouse or children in on the activities. Order an interactive video game like Just Dance to get them off the couch and sweating along with you.
- Grab some workout DVDs. If you’d rather just exercise in your own home, there are many DVDs available to get your heart pumping. This route keeps you from having to be out in the cold weather anymore than necessary while still getting you the fitness your body needs.
- Get some warm workout clothing. Prepping for a new venture, like exercising in the winter, can be exciting enough for you to follow through with it. You can still complete your workouts when it’s chilly by adding a hoodie, leggings, or sweats to your exercise wardrobe! Check out Fabletics for some great workout gear.
What are your tips for getting enough exercise in the Winter months?