Have you ever tried to take melatonin to improve your quality of sleep? Have you ever given it to your kids to help them sleep better? If not, have you considered using it for these purposes? You may have some questions about melatonin and you may have heard some facts about this naturally produced hormone that you want to verify.
Melatonin 101: What You Need To Know
When you struggle with quality sleep, you may have been told to try to take melatonin to help improve this quality. Before you take it, though, you should do your research and find a quality product and learn a little about how Melatonin can help you.
What is Melatonin?
Melatonin is a natural hormone found in the body and is sometimes taken in supplement form to adjust the body’s clock, treat jet lag or adjust sleep-wake cycles. This hormone regulates night and day cycles or sleep-wake cycles and more melatonin is produced in the darkness when the body prepares itself for sleep. If you have trouble sleeping, you may have low levels of melatonin.
What is Melatonin Used For?
The most common use for melatonin is for insomnia in adults and sleep problems in children. Other people use it for delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS), rapid eye movement, and memory loss.
Is Melatonin Habit-Forming?
Melatonin is not habit-forming. It does work extremely well at promoting sleep so some may feel they don’t sleep as well without it but your body won’t crave it like a drug.
How is Wink Naturals Different?
Wink Naturals manufactures their products in GMP certified facilities in the United States with premium ingredients. Wink Naturals GUARANTEES their products to contain the ingredients we put on the labels and we guarantee our products work with our 100% Happy Guarantee. Our kids and adult formulas are pressed in a way that they dissolve in 5 seconds and begin absorbing immediately. Most manufactures use gummies which aren’t great for transferring the melatonin evenly to the body, compressed pills which are too hard to break up during ingestion, or gel caps which are known to pass through the GI tract without absorbing. So yes, Wink Naturals products are more expensive, and we guarantee they work better than anything else on the market 100% of the time and we guarantee that what is put on the label is in the formula.
Looking for more research? Check out these articles:
– https://nccih.nih.gov/health/melatonin. Discusses what melatonin is, how it can be effective, possible side effects (there aren’t any significant ones in children), some things to be aware of as well.
– http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0883073807309783. A study done on children who have insomnia and autism. Large majority had improved sleep. The majority of children were taking psychotropic medications. Conclusion: melatonin appears to be a safe and well-tolerated treatment for insomnia in children with autism spectrum disorders.
– http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/…/j.1469-8749.2011.0398…/full. Melatonin administration in ASD is associated with improved sleep parameters, better daytime behavior, and minimal side effects.
– http://www.sciencedirect.com/…/article/pii/S0890856709611989. Combined sleep hygiene and melatonin was a safe and effective treatment for initial insomnia in children with ADHD taking stimulant medication.
– http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/…/j.1528-1157.2001.2810…/full. Studied using melatonin to help with epileptic seizures in children. With the exception of the parents of one child, all reported a significant clinical improvement in seizure activity during treatment, particularly during the night. Sleep studies showed a decrease in epileptic activity in two of the three patients who were monitored during treatment, and a change of sleep efficiency from 84.2% to 89.7% (NS). Improvement in daytime behavior and in communication abilities was reported by parents