I have 3 words for you…
Murder. Mystery. Party!
Have you ever been to one? They are really and truly so much fun!
How does a Murder Mystery Work?
For those who may not know how they work, here is the low-down:
A mid-size group of people, usually around 8 – 16, get invited to participate in a “murder mystery party”. They receive invitations in the mail (or digitally) that include the name of their character, a brief description of the setting and time period, as well as a suggested costume. Also included is a “character biography”, describing details of their character and things that they know about other players in the game. They show up at the party, and then receive “task cards” – i.e: things they need to accomplish throughout the evening. They usually include people to talk to (or avoid), secrets to tell, things to figure out, etc, among the other characters. Then tragedy strikes! Typically, someone falls victim to a crime, and the group of characters must work together to solve the case, going off of what they know about each other.
Sounds fun, right?!
I’ve been wanting to host one for a long time. Recently I was searching for one to do (they really are good for any time of year, but a lot of people tend to hold them around Halloween or in the fall) – and I came across this one from The Dating Divas!
It includes everything you need to host a party of your own – Invitations (customized to each character), biographies, task cards, decor, awards…it’s the whole package! Here is a more detailed list, courtesy of the Divas:
- Hosting Ideas & Suggestions to make party planning a breeze.
- Invitations personalized for each character with costume ideas.
- Character Biographies to set the stage and story.
- Name Tags to identify each unique character.
- Table Cards & Food Tents to use if playing over dinner.
- Task Cards for the characters to complete in each round.
- Evidence Pieces to add intrigue and suspense!
- Voting Ballots and Awards to vote for your favorite characters & suspects.
and much MORE!
Grab yours quick and get to planning – this is going to be so much fun!